Monday, May 24, 2010

 

The Passing From This Life Of Eddie Cherry






Click on any image above to view it in larger format or click the arrow to view the graveside service video below at bottom of this post.

Contributions to a Cherry Family Love Fund may be made at the First National Bank of Winnsboro, Texas.

The Official Obituary

Mr. Eddie Herbert Cherry, age 49 of Winnsboro, passed away on Wednesday, May 20, 2010. He was born October 9, 1960 in Tyler, Texas to the late Jo Ann Cherry Turner and the late Jerry P. (Shorty) Cherry. He attended Central Baptist Church in Tyler, where he could be seen with his grandparents every Sunday.
He later moved to Winnsboro. Eddie loved his family and friends, which was evidenced by his gift of service. He spent his tune helping people. He loved being in his shop, working on anything from tractors to lawn mowers. He was extremely mechanically inclined and well versed on many subjects. If he didn't know something, he would exhaust every avenue to find the answer, whether from a book or the computer. One of Eddie's favorite pastimes was fishing. He could be found fishing from his four-wheeler at a nearby pond. He loved being outdoors and wasted no time getting on the tractor and doing some shredding for a friend when he was not working. If anyone needed anything from Eddie, they could always count on him. He was an owner/operator with LandStar Trucking Company. Eddie married Robin Boyd, his wife of 27 years, on January 21, 1983. His life was blessed by two sons, Joshua Eric Cherry and Jeremy Ellis Cherry and a daughter-in-law, Addie Cherry. Others who will rejoice at seeing him again one day include; brother, Duane Cherry and wife Belinda of Hillsboro; brother, Stephen Cherry and wife Erica of Quitman; and sister, the late Vicki Cherry; mother and father-in-law, Georgia Ann and Tommy Boyd of Winnsboro; sister-in-law, Debi Rouse and husband Willy of Lindale; sister-in-law, Krystal Cook and husband David of Winnsboro; sister-in-law Shannon Hyser and husband Mike of Naples, Florida; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Brother Richard (Nub) Brown officiated at the funeral, which included several songs that had been favorites of Eddie: You'll Be There, When I Get To Where I'm Going and In The Garden.

Pallbearers were Mark Sims, Kevin Lindley, Ricky King, Jeremy Cherry, Danny Broomfield and Benny Caldwell. Honorary pallbearers were Steve Dennis, Jerry Smith, Ben Hogue, Josh Cole, Chris Holland, Tom Inskeep, Bit Mauldin, Willy Rouse, David Cook, Mike Hyser, Charlie Craddock and Ricky Conner.

He Made A Difference: Eddie Herbert Cherry

Funeral eulogy by Tommy Boyd, Eddie’s father-in-law

John 15:13 says:

Greater love has no one than this: That he lay down his life for his friends.
I have a friend named Eddie, his soul is in Heaven, his tabernacle remains with us for a while, someday we will all be home, some will be called to meet in the air as our Savior Jesus comes for His bride, some will be waiting at home. I see faces, some familiar to me and I know all of you would be known and loved by Eddie.

We have been honored to have Eddie in our family for more than 27 years, ever since he came to our home on FM 312 and asked for our daughter Robin’s hand in marriage. There are two sons from this marriage, wonderful grandsons that make you proud, Josh and Jeremy. Jeremy is seated here today with Love in his heart and wonderful memories to draw upon from time to time as needed. Probably all of you knew Josh or have heard his name spoken in love; he wrote a timeless poem during his short tenure on earth, it is as follows.

Life

There are many times that one may doubt,
But take the good with the bad and don’t pout.

Always look ahead to what is to come
And try to do good which is a good rule of thumb.

The times may grow dark and look never ending,
But just look towards the light and know your time is pending

There is so much good that is never seen
That it is the norm to be unclean.

One day everything will come to an end
I just hope you tell your next of kin

One day, happiness will be forever
Me, you and God will all be together

Written by
Josh Cherry who God placed in our family in 1984 and called home in 2005.

Eddie laid down his life for his friends. His passion was to help people, especially friends, but you didn’t have to know Eddie or be a friend to get his help, he just had to know you needed help and he was there. There was a benefit rodeo for Josh in 2005 and the proceeds were given to Robin and Eddie, most of those proceeds were used to help other people. The only reason he did not help more people was because God has said, come home and rest, your work is finished. I need you now.

Eddie has been in numerous gatherings of our family, holidays, birthdays or just casual gatherings. He was a little camera shy at first and never really let you know he wanted his picture taken. I have taken many many pictures at our gatherings, which I cherish more and more as time goes by. When you see a man with a camera, or someone else, you have two choices, relax and let him take a picture that you will be proud of or try to avoid him and end up with a less pleasing picture because your picture is going to be taken whether you know it not. I have never seen a picture of someone I love that did not pull my heartstrings. They are all keepers.

As time passes and we all think, I am going to call Eddie and ask him, and then remember he is home with the Lord, love will flood your being, a little sadness will creep in; Eddie will be there with you saying its ok and we once more smile with Eddie in our heart.

I was lucky enough to be asked to ride with Eddie to Seattle as he was hauling cars. A trip I enjoyed very much then; now with memories, pictures and videos that, to me, are priceless. As we were returning to Winnsboro we encountered a storm, with strong winds as we were coming thru Idaho, Wyoming or Nebraska, ( I am not sure where it was, but Eddie could tell you the road number as well as the mile marker) the storm was making me a little uncomfortable, the winds were blowing contrary to the way we were traveling, we were passing by some lake that was running parallel to the road we were traveling, the waves were coming onto the roadway, we slowed but continued traveling, hoping to run out of the storm soon. The truck was rocking some, but knowing Eddie was at the wheel I knew everything was going to be ok. He would tell people I was holding onto the dash pretty tight and I guess maybe I was or maybe it was Eddie just got more joy out of telling it that way – he was known to add some details from time to time to get a good laugh, but with love in his heart.

I have many wonderful, precious memories, of being with Eddie, some wet with sweat, some oily and greasy, some just sitting and enjoying the day talking and drinking Gatorade. Sometimes he would say, let’s go get something to eat or call on the phone and say “I made a pot of stew or I got some red beans and cornbread” better come and get some of this.

My life is better because for 27 years I had Eddie in my life and for the remainder of my life, whatever it is, I will have those memories to call on from time to time, because I will need them and when they come forth, they will be precious.

I think Eddie would like the poem “Do It Anyway” so here’s to you my Beloved Eddie.

DO IT ANYWAY

Poem read at funeral by Tommy Boyd

People are often unreasonable,
illogical,
and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, People may accuse you
of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some
false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone
could destroy overnight.
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got
anyway.
You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them
anyway.

Trucker Eddie

By Helen McClain

I start the truck and I’m on my way,
Another town I will see today,
Sometimes staying or passing through.
Either way, I have a job to do;

I love my tuck, it’s a part of me,
Although it can’t compare to my family.

When I’m traveling on the dark roads ahead,
Always wishing this were my own bed,
It’s a long, lonely run most of the time.
No wife around, just another hill to climb.

But when all is said and done, and I’m heading home,
I think of my Robin, and I’m no longer alone.

A lot of miles under my belt
Tired and sore muscles I often felt.
Fast food, truck stops and a sun that melts,
Beautiful skies and roads so dark:

Rainy days, and a rest at the park.
When my trip is over, another I’ll embark.

I’ve traveled far and traveled wide
But the best road trip I ever had
Was the one by your side: Thank you
Sweet Robin, Josh and Jeremy for always

Waiting and being my family.
Never a stranger does Eddie meet:

He will give you his last dime
Even the shoes off his feet.
He’s been everywhere:
north, south, east and west, whatever the load.

He’s the best, takes time to call
When he’s away, never forgets:

Never missing a day.
Although he’s a trucker, that’s not all he’s about:
He can farm, fish and tell a good joke
And fun at you he will probably poke.

He will fry up good boudin and taters in a pan.
To sum it all up, he’s one hell of a man.

If you were ever in need or feeling weary,
All you had to do was call Eddie Cherry.
Good father, husband, and son-in-law indeed.
Not a better friend you will ever find,

Than trucker Eddie, when you are in a bind.
I better wrap this up cause I can go on all day.

About a special person, I have plenty to say
Don’t be sad, forever I’ll be: You see,
This is only another road trip for me.
Wherever I’m heading, I’ll not leave behind

The thoughts of my wonderful life during my time,.
Be at peace, my Robin, most beautiful of all.
Just think of me always on another haul:
Love always and forever, your Trucker Eddie.

Click arrow below to view graveside service video:



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?